A history over a century in the making
In 1879, Pastor Wilhelm Hansen, Mr. George Welz, Mr. Ludwig Harks, and his wife, Mrs. Henriette Harks, established the Zoar Society to meet the needs of orphaned children and the elderly. The organization was first known as Zoar Homes.
The organization built its first home, Talitha Cumi, on Harvey Street in Detroit in 1882 to house orphaned children.
In 1886, The second home, Tabea, was also built on Harvey Street and housed the elderly. The third home, Evangelical Home Detroit, was completed in 1888 and became the first home for girls.
In 1894, Zoar Homes became The German Protestant Homes for Orphans and Old People, while the organization’s name was not changed to reflect this until 1944.
A new, expanded facility on Detroit’s West Grand Boulevard was dedicated in 1905. Forty-two years later, the facility moved to its W. Outer Drive location on land donated by Litta Matthaei and her brother, Frederick C. Matthaei.
Four cottages – Hope, Faith, Zoar, and Charity – were built behind the Evangelical Home Detroit for dependent children in 1915, and the existing facility was renovated for the care of the elderly.
In 1963, a modern nursing unit was added to the Evangelical Home Detroit, and in 1971, a specialized program for 36 individuals with developmental disabilities was developed, replacing the dependent children’s hospital.
The organization expanded with the dedication of the Evangelical Home – Saline nursing home in 1974. 61 nursing care beds were added in 1977, as well as a 28-room home for the elderly.
Further expansion of Evangelical Homes of Michigan nursing facilities followed with the dedication of its Port Huron location in 1983, followed by the Sterling Heights facility in 1987.
Three federally subsidized apartment complexes for seniors were built in the 90’s: Mill Pond Manor in Saline in 1990, followed by Eden Manor and Evangelical Manor, located in Detroit.
In 1997, the Sterling Heights nursing home opened Pathways Transitioncare, a 19-bed post-acute rehabilitation unit which included the addition of a 2,600 square foot therapeutic rehabilitation area.
Construction began in 1999 at Brecon Village in Saline, creating a beautiful senior living campus which included 36 privately owned condominiums, 76 independent living apartments, and 32 assisted living apartments. Residents living in the assisted living apartments at Evangelical Home – Saline transferred to the Brecon Village campus.
The Play and Learn Children’s Place child daycare center was developed, providing an intergenerational program which gave children and seniors the opportunity to “play and learn” together.
In 2007, Shared Care Services was launched, providing personal and companion home care for seniors residing in the Washtenaw County region, followed shortly by the establishment of Shared Services Home Health Care, a Medicare-certified home health care agency.
Later, a comprehensive interior and exterior renovation of the Sterling Heights facility was completed, and the Port Huron location was sold, with all proceeds of the sale benefitting the Spiritual Care and Volunteer Life endowment.
The Memory Support Center at Brecon Village in Saline opened its doors in 2009, featuring a variety of memory care services rooted in the Best Friends™ philosophy, as well as innovative living spaces designed to help residents and their loved ones through the many stages of memory loss.
The LifeChoices® and LifeChoice Solutions® Programs were launched in 2010. As the first of its kind in Michigan, these forward-thinking programs provide a range of services and support to help members maintain their independence and remain in their homes.
In 2012, The Redies Center for Rehabilitation and Healthy Living opened its doors at Evangelical Home – Saline.
Evangelical Homes of Michigan purchased the former Saline Community Hospital in 2016, which has been developed as the EHM Professional Office Building, offering conference spaces for businesses and organizations in the area for meetings and educational events. Over time, the corporate offices and Home Care operations located elsewhere were relocated to the Professional Office Building. The complex also houses independent physician practices and other business entities.
Also in 2016, the Evangelical Homes of Michigan Foundation was established to increase philanthropic support of charitable care, Safe-at-Home services, capital improvements, and community education.
That same year, Evangelical Homes of Michigan changed its name to EHM Senior Solutions, to reflect the broader array of services that are available to serve clients living in their own homes.In November of 2019, the Redies Outpatient Center opened to serve the needs of residents in the greater community.